Monday, June 11, 2012


Tool #2

1. I visited several blogs and added several links to my blog as you can see in the bottom right corner of this page. I commented on The Innovative Teacher about BYO- Bring your Own Technology. To summarize the article was discussing the benefits of students bringing their own technology to school and the infrastructure needed for it to happen successfully. This year, I experimented with this since we figured out how to access the network and I found it to be very useful. The kids felt more in control of the technology and were more apt to problem solve since it was their own technology. Read the article if you are interested. It was pretty interesting. Let me know what you think.

In addition, I will be following on Google Reader the sites that I added to my blog. I decided that if I found them useful, others might also want to know what I am reading on my own.

2. I have decided at least so far, that the blog might be something I want to use for professional purposes. I will see where 11 Tools leads me with this blog, but at this point, I do not think the kids will want to follow it. When I looked at other teacher blogs from other schools, most of them were set up for the purpose of talking to other educators and professionals. It would not necessarily appeal to children the way I am headed right now. I will stick to Edmodo for the children right now.

What stood out from the commenting advice was that we need to invite people to comment on our site and leave specific guidelines about commenting. I have yet to do that, but I plan to add that to my site. Many people just read what others are saying and do not comment. Since I have had a blog and use Edmodo with my class, I have noticed that I get the most feedback when I pose a question after my opinion like, "What do you think about...?".

I had no problem sharing my thoughts publicly, which should not surprise those who know me if you are reading my blog. I form opinions and am not afraid to voice them. I can see, though, how a blog would give people a voice who do not like comment in front of their peers. I see it in the classroom when I pose a question on Edmodo. Students who I do not hear from in whole class discussion are able to voice their opinions very clearly and sometimes very strongly through written communication. Through writing on a blog, complete thoughts can be written without interruption of thought from others. That is one difference that I can see from sharing successes/ challenges with other teammates. However, when communicating face to face, there is immediate feedback, which is often needed when discussing a problem. I understand why so many communities set up live chats to create that immediate feedback from peers.

3. A site I will visit often is www.readwriteinspire.blogspot.com . It is a blog inspired by Katie Wood Ray. Justt this week Gary Paulsen posted some writing tips. It is full of thoughtful writing ideas and reflective comments from other teachers. You can access it from my blog at the LIVING link. Check it out and tell me what you think. ( I just invited you to post if you didn't catch that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment